March 05, 2014

02-09-64, Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!


February 9, 1964.The defining moment of my life. I was three years old and witnessed with 73 million other Americans the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

It was my first vivid childhood memory, and fifty years later the Beatles still stir my spirit and soul.

John, Paul, George and Ringo revolutionized America and the world with their music, Liverpudlian charm with and fashion.

Like Beethoven, Gershwin, Glen Miller, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly and Bob Dylan, the Beatles were poets of their generation.

The Beatles music transcended time. Like all great composers their music is timeless.

Now, fifty years later, Beatlemania is alive and well. The media has embraced the “Fab Four” with books, magazines, music and shows paying tribute rock n rolls royal band.

I celebrated the Beatles 50th anniversary at a special Abbey Road on the River music event in Louisville Kentucky.

My dear Beatle buddy, Ramona Morrison and hundreds of other Beatle fans from 5 to 70 years of age, danced and sang to the irresistible “I want to hold your hand”, “She loves you”, “I saw her standing there”, and all the chart topping hits the Beatles churned out in the swinging 60’s.

The impact the Beatles and music has had on my life is immeasurable. My father owned several radio stations and I grew up to the Sounds of Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and the Mills Brothers streaming live on a record player in the living room.

Music was a constant source of joy and happiness for my family and friends. My dad played the saxophone, my sister tooted on the clarinet, my brother banged on the drums and I strummed a guitar.

Today I play in a Ukulele band as a hobby. As a private caregiver, I utilize music therapy as a mental and spiritual tool for senior citizens suffering from Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and other medical illnesses.

A recent article in the Louisville Currier Journal dated August 9th, 2013, by Laura Ungar, states that music therapy is offered in more than 26,000 healthcare facilities in the United States.

Another study in May of 2013 by the Journal of the American Medical Association found that music therapy reduced anxiety and the intensity of sedation used with intensive care patients for respiration failure. Music is a great healing source for pain management, memory loss, anxiety and depression.

Music is a humanizing element for people suffering with illness…music is a way of bringing hope and showing there’s still something beautiful in the world”. (Rev. Keith Brasler, Chaplin at Norton Audubon Louisville, Kentucky.)

I believe the greatest gift that I can share with my patients is music. Music is a personal soundtrack in each individual’s life. When I can tap into a person’s favorite music I witness a powerful transformation from pain to joy, from anxiety to peace.

Music is food for our souls and spirit. The power of music lifts up from darkness to light.

I encourage everyone who reads this story to share the gift of music to your friends and loved ones. Give yourself the gift of your favorite tunes each day and feel your mind and spirit soar!

Peace, Love and Music forever….Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Lynn Bradley

Independent Caregiver/Music Therapist

(Please share your favorite music memories or defining moments of you life.)
















No comments:

Post a Comment